Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wales and Oxford

Ok so Wales was so so, it did not make my list of places to come back but it was pretty. we got off the airplane and waited for a bus and the bus we wanted passed by and these four elderly folk with accents got all mad and were so hilarious about it. they kept having round about conversations (meaning the conversation repeated over and over) one lady said the bus driver had no right to assume we would not want that bus! and when the other bus came another lady said she would stop it with her foot if she had to. it was just so amusing. I couldn't even be mad about missing the first bus because I was so entertained. so we finally got on the bus and then we got to Cardiff central but the drive there was so pretty, there were horses (abby: you would've loved it!) but when we got there it was kind of dirty and a bit sketchy. then we decided to walk to the bay because we were waiting for the lady we were staying with to call us. we accidentally ended up walking through the projects of cardiff which may not sound scary but let me tell you! the Welsh accent is so hard to understand that I could not understand a single thing they were saying so I was (probably irrationally) fearing a surprise attack. we made it through and the bay was really pretty. it is where Dr. Who and Torchwood is filmed and produced so katie was excited. we still had not heard from the person we were staying with by the time we had dinner so I called my mom and she was nice enough to find us a cheap place to stay at. basically that is it for cardiff.
Oxford is awesome! I love the old buildings and all the colleges. I was looking for like main campus Oxford but could not find it. we walked past Christ Church which had a really pretty garden and then we walked all over town and while we were walking the lady we were supposed to stay with the night before called me to apologize. it was a bit of an awkward conversation. but at least she called. then we went to the University park which I was not super enthusiastic about but Katie was. we stayed for a bit then went to look at the pretty old buildings got to St. Giles Church then discussed what to do with our time. I did not want to spend my time at a park I wanted to explore and katie wanted to go to the park so we decided to split up and meet at the pub where C.S Lewis and Tolkien met frequently, The Eagle and Child. So I went exploring and looked at this one school which had pretty lawns that you could not touch, which is a trend here (why have a pretty lawn with inviting trees if we cant use them!). then I accidentally found what must be central oxford. there was a cool library and this hall which I could not get in to but I am pretty sure it was the Harry Potter hall. I just enjoyed wondering around and seeing all I could see. At dinner we met these Americans from California who are here filming a documentary about religion and science and how they can go together. we chatted with them for a while and then went back to our hostel. where I watched some of the Greece Vs Argentina game, I am pretty sure I was the only person who wanted Greece to win but that is only because of Nathan and Effie.
Oh! I am super excited to find out I have an accent! I have always wanted to have one! most people mistake me for Canadian based on my accent though, so I dont know what to think about that! but I am excited to have an American/Canadian accent! YAY! Ok next Bath then London! then we are done with our English speaking countries...

1 comment:

  1. Did you take a picture of the horses? Thanks very much for your instructional postcard by the way. I'm brainstorming possibilities for their display, so keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete