Thursday, July 8, 2010

ESPAÑA

So I went to this stadium in Madrid to watch the España vs Germany game with a whole bunch of people from my hostel! it was so much fun! I had a jersey (not a real one) and a spanish flag as a skirt. It was funny because when I thought about it I dont own an American flag or have ever considered dressing up all in my countries colors because I think in the US that would be super weird. but here it is perfectly normal! so I just went all out and we were in this huge crowd and were trying our best to copy the chants that everyone was saying. as I don´t speak spanish i was really just mummbeling everything except España. I have never seen anything like this ever! when spain scored it was madness I was being pushed around and people where hugging and jumping up and down. then people shot off fireworks in the crowd. all of a sudden we were pushed back and everyone in front of us was covering thier ears then BOOM! it was insane! I am so glad I had that experience. afterwards we tried to get back to the hostel via metro but they were not letting people through the metro stop so we went to a bar for a while and then tried again. I made so many new friends and have some new inside jokes it was such a great experience. after the game when we finally got on the metro a whole bunch of German fans got on and so we started cheering/chanting and they cheered too it was really funny to have a cheer off on the metro. but the German fans still had their pride and were still in relitivly good spirts.
Madrid has been an entirly different experience. it is so hot here (40c and higher which to put that into perspective 32c is 90 degrees f) so it is so hot that you cannot do anything hardly at all during the day. I have been napping because it is just too hot. the afternoon ends at 9pm and that is when everyone comes out. it is insane and a compleatly different experince. the first day we were here we were so hungry that we just went on a 10 euro tapas tour. it was fun to have a bunch of different things I tried 3 different kinds of drinks and 4 different tapas. I loved this potato salad thing that isnt normal potato salad it was amazing! after we wandered around in the shaded areas and found this Flamanco company what was doing a Flamanco version of Carmen so we decided to go to that. I went in not knowing much about Carmen, I only knew the ending and I came out knowing just about the same amount. but the dancing was so cool! I want a skirt that twirls like that! it was very pretty and a lot of fun so see. afterwards we went and found a bar to watch the holland game and I ordered sangreia (Sp?) and well I got the biggest glass that wasnt a pitcher that I have ever seen. it took me the whole game to finish drinking it. and i had some traditional spanish rice dish that I keep forgetting the name of. it was fun watching the game there, we were the youngest people there. but everyone else except the people who worked there were cheering for holland so that was kind of cool. we do not really know what to see here so we took another free walking tour but we still dont know what to see so we are just relaxing and enjoying the city. tomorrow I think we will go to this park with a pool and maybe some other things. I am excited to still be in spain for the world cup final.

1 comment:

  1. I have an american flag if you feel the need to wear it when you get home.

    ReplyDelete